Thankful...

Dave LeYanna dleyanna at rtl.org
Sun Jan 26 13:27:26 EST 2003

I have been lurking for a while. Not only am I new to Rev and this list but
I am also trying to decide if this is the development environment for me.
One of the things that I look for is an active forum or mailing list with
quality questions and answers by  more that just a couple of people,  low
noise and above all grace and tolerance.

You folks score high.

Dave

At 12:14 PM 1/26/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Graham,
>
>I'd suggest having all your menu items have one line of code each... calling
>a function or handler in the stack script or backscript that can be reached
>by other methods. For example, suppose I had a File menu with three items:
>"New", "Open" and "Quit". I might script the button as follows:
>
>on menuPick what
>   switch what
>   case "New"
>     FileNew
>     break
>   case "Open"
>     FileOpen
>     break
>   case "Quit"
>     FileQuit
>     break
>   end switch
>end menuPick
>
>And then in my stack script of my mainstack have the handlers, like this for
>Quit:
>
>on FileQuit
>   -- do my cleanup routines
>   quit
>end FileQuit
>
>This way, if I want to "choose a menu item" from somewhere else, I only need
>to call on the handler ("FileQuit" in this example).
>
>A naming convention for menu items is good too... the one I show above can
>break down if the combination of your menu name and item is the same as a
>reserved token in Transcript, but you get the idea.
>
>Ken Ray
>Sons of Thunder Software
>Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
>Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

||   Dave LeYanna                 ||
||   Director IS                       ||
||   Right to Life of Michigan    ||