Creating "real" thumbnails w/ compression control

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Jan 26 10:33:01 EST 2003

I followed the recent thread on making thumbnails, but still have a
basic question. Of course, it possible to import a large digital JPEG
image (typically taken by a digital camera, 20 X 14 at 100 DPI or
something like that), and assign that image to a small rect that is
locked and thus it appears as a thumbnail. The questions are

1) How does one go about actually making a thumbnail of the large image
that resides on disk, but, in Revolution the amount of image data for
the thumbnail is just that, the necessary data to show a thumbnail..
let's say 1 inch tall by 2 inches wide, for discussion purposes... at
72 DPI. So that when you export that thumbnail back to the hard drive
you end up with a tiny 20K thumbnail image of the large image?

2) Can we import a JPEG and then export that big file back to a smaller
file and a specific smaller size and compression. e.g. we bring in the
file and save it out as a 3X5 image at 72 DPI at compression "medium"
or 40.

Of course we have lots of external tools for this, but each one has
limitations. ImageReady is not a cataloging interface. iView is great,
but has no easy export feature and the thumbnails are "locked" into the
catalog itself.  What I am looking for is an application independent
work flow, where the original image, the resized image for web use and
a thumbnail of that end up as files  on the hard drive, that cane
process a single image in one go.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery