Undocumented image problem 2

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Jan 23 13:03:01 EST 2003

We only Macs here and we have no problems displaying JPEGS in
standalones, or from the servers across the room. I did in the
beginning because I was naive about using file references for external
media.

You must always use relative paths after getting the effective Filename
of this stack, chop the file name to get the current directory, which
will then be correct, whereever you are, and in a pre-open stack
handler you poke that to a global. "gRoot"

Set the default folder to "gRoot" and  that and then call images
relatively from that location. (assumes you have a folder of images in
the same directory alongside your standalone).

One caveat was that, during development when setting the file reference
for an image control, it will always give you the long path from the
local hard drive and you must manually chop this back to the relative
path.
You can go ahead and import all the images and then using a script,
chop all the file refs back in one go. Once done, it works anywhere.

There are probably easier ways... but the above works.

if this doesn't make sense I'll dig up examples. And there are more
caveats for CD's going to Windows machines -- don't ever put anything
on the root level of a CD... always put your presentation and media
file inside a directory on the CD... then if you want it to be "pretty"
give  the top folder a fancy icon.