Revolution Telephony

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Jan 21 15:41:01 EST 2003

On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 12:07 PM, Ken Norris (dialup) wrote:

> May I add this to the list:
>
> <http://www.megaphoneco.com>
>
> Their new offerings are right-on for what the thread seems to be
> looking
> for.

Yes.  MegaPhone and PhonePro are back. ( And PhonePro is a lot cheaper
than it was years ago.)

And MegaPhone is controllable with AppleEvents (AppleScript), so a
stack can control it.  I don't know if such a combination would have
the power of PhonePro, but it might.

But Apple has crippled the internal modem to the point that just about
all MegaPhone would be able to do with it is dial out and I think it
can't even do that under Classic.  You need to get external phone
hardware.  Or find an old 840AV.  (As mentioned earlier, we can already
dial with Revolution.)

The current version (9) does not work on OS X except somewhat under
Classic.  I get the impression that the MegaPhone folks thought that
10.2 was going to have telephony support.  Maybe it will eventually.
Version 10 of MegaPhone for OS X may come out then.

I'd keep an eye out for Bluetooth developments.  There seem to be
wireless phones and PDAs with Bluetooth.  And cordless stereo
earphones.  I haven't seen ones with mics but I expect they will be out
soon.  I have seen a couple Bluetooth POTS adaptors, but that area
seems immature.

And on IP phone standardization.

I don't know much about what is going on these days, but it would be
great if Revolutionaries can be part of telephony or at least the
personal telephony niche, whatever that is.

Dar Scott