Hiliting Buttons

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Jan 20 13:08:01 EST 2003

Hi All,

Today's mystery is one I've been watching for some time, assuming
sooner or later an answer would come to me.  It hasn't; so I'm asking
for help:

What hidden property of a button can cause it not to display its
hilite color &/or reverse its border colors when the handler it calls
instructs "set the hilite of the target to true"?

I have a series of buttons that all appear (via the properties
palette) to be set up identically; yet some buttons don't display
their hilite color, and a few don't even reverse the border colors.

Button specifics for all buttons --

* Style = rectangle
* Opaque = true
* Ions : "regular", armed, & disabled
* Can receive focus = true
* Arm on mouseEnter = true
* Background & hilite colors are set
* 3D = true
* Show border = true
* Show focus border = true

Button script format:

on mouseEnter
   buttonEnter [helpFieldName]
end mouseEnter

Handler that "fails":

on buttonEnter helpField
   global inFocus
   if inFocus then exit buttonEnter
   lock screen
   set the hilite of the target to true -- COLORS DON'T CHANGE &
BORDERS DON'T REVERSE ON SOME BUTTONS
   showHelpField helpField
   unlock screen
end buttonEnter

local lastHelpId

on hideHelpField
   if lastHelpId is not empty then
     hide field id lastHelpId
     put empty into lastHelpId
   else put empty into field "Help"
end hideHelpField

on showHelpField theField
   hideHelpField
   show field theField
   put the id of field theField into lastHelpId
end showHelpField

A great future add-on to Revolution would be functionality to have
the Dev UI compare ALL properties of two controls of a similar type
and return a list of properties that are set differently.

In the meantime, I hope someone can make it unnecessary for me to
have to compare all properties manually.     :{`)

PS: The buttons were created by RunRev when it converted my HyperTalk
version of OenoLog to a Revolution stack, in case that makes a
difference.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company