True round buttons

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat Jan 18 20:38:01 EST 2003

Recently, thinkertoys wrote:

>> It should
>> be pointed out though that there was a solution posted to your problem which
>> would give the same results: use a transparent draw graphic as the "hotspot"
>> of your button, along with a borderless inactive button behind the draw
>> object to serve as the display of the button states
>
> This does not work.

In fact, it does.  I would not have posted this technique if it didn't work.
Se below.

> Have you actually tried it?

Only in about every professional application we've built.

> I suppose it's possible that this could be platform specific, but as far
> as I can tell transparent draw graphics do not trap mouse events.

This is because you read the post literally.  Try the following:

Create a circular draw graphic.  Give it a simple script:

on mouseEnter
    answer "Got it"
end mouseEnter

Set the graphic's filled to true, and its ink effect to noop.

You now have have a "transparent" non-rectangular region that responds to
mouse events.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director