(Probably naive) question about Rev docs

Mark Swindell mdswindell at charter.net
Sat Jan 18 15:28:01 EST 2003

on 1/18/03 10:42 AM, Mark Brownell at gizmotron at earthlink.net wrote:

> on 1/18/03 11:58 AM, Mark Swindell at mdswindell at charter.net wrote:
>
>> It _seems_ like it wouldn't be all that hard (and this is the probably naive
>> part) to make a documentation search return a list of every instance the
>> search keyword(s) appear in the Rev docs with imbedded context, x number of
>> words on either side of the found item, ala the Google model.  If I type in
>> "second" or "seconds" I would get a list of all the places these words
>> appear, and each occurrence would be auto-linked that doc entry.  Wouldn't
>> this address, as well as could be done, the complex issue of trying to
>> second guess a user's thinking style when searching for something?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

> Hi Mark,
>
> That's exactly what I tried to do regarding my relational text gathering
> system when it came to keyword searches. It took me several hours to create
> a document conversion app that tranformed the Rev Docs (TXT) Version 1.1.1r2
> into a keyword searchable tool that returned hyperlinks to all occurrences.

> Re:

Mark

I saw your post earlier a few days ago and tried to make it work but ran
into some difficulties.  I'll give it another try.

But the question I'm posing is whether the same thing couldn't be done right
within Revolution with the Docs that ship with it without the nead for
Ebooks or Shockwave or involving a browser at all.

Mark