PlayStopped message

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jan 18 15:00:01 EST 2003

miscdas at boxfrog.com wrote:

> I didn't check this, but let's assume that for "the current sound will
> stop..." requires that a playStopped to be received. Further, let's assume
> any time a clip is started (via a play command or a file name change, or
> whatever) the message playStopped is first sent to ensure the player is
> stopped (even if it is already stopped), then the clip starts.

Just for the record, this is a little bit backwards. System messages are
generally sent after the action has occured, not before. They are a
notification to your script, not the cause of the action. So when
"playstopped" is sent, it is notification that the player object has
already stopped; it is not the command that actually stops the player.
That why trapping "playstopped" won't prevent the player from stopping,
or, for example, why trapping the "shutdown" message doesn't stop the
engine from quitting.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com