True round buttons

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jan 17 14:49:00 EST 2003

Recently, "thinkertoys"  wrote:

> This is nothing earth-shattering but may help someone in the future.  A
> few months ago there was a discussion re. this w/ no satisfactory
> conclusion.
>
> I recently needed some & came up w/ a decent solution: use PNG images
> which can have transparent areas which do not trap mouse events - then,
> instead of icons, simply make calls to the imageData of the PNG for
> different mouse events - as in:
>
> on mouseEnter
> set the imageData of me to the imageData of img mEnter
> end mouseEnter
>
> w/ similar handlers for mouseUp, mouseRelease, mouseDown, mouseLeave the
> result is a true round "button."

This is a good technique -- thanks for sharing it with the list.  It should
be pointed out though that there was a solution posted to your problem which
would give the same results: use a transparent draw graphic as the "hotspot"
of your button, along with a borderless inactive button behind the draw
object to serve as the display of the button states (set the icon of btn
buttonState to the id of img overState.png, etc).  Granted this technique
relies an extra object, but it also allows you to create/resize the button
natively within Rev/MC, rather than having to use an image editor or mess
with imageData.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director