Completeness of Revo Docs (was Re: path of a 'closeStackRequest')

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 06:42:01 EST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003  Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
14:09:53 -0800 wrote:
>Graham Samuel wrote:
>[..]
>  > send "someMessage" to "somewhere" in 5 seconds
>>
>>  weren't covered in the Dictionary;
>
>I wonder if the problem may be a version mismatch.
>
>In v1.1.1, the second example in the Transcript Dictionary entry for the
>send command shows the use of a timer to send a message in a given number of
>seconds , and the timer option is also shown in the syntax listing above the
>examples.
>
>What version are you using?

I'm using 1.1.1, but you've just proved my point about having to read
around the subject. If you look up 'seconds' in the Transcript
dictionary, you only get one usage (the function which returns the
time in seconds). If you didn't know about 'send', you wouldn't find
it there.

It doesn't mention the other usage even in the 'see also' listing,
nor that the singular 'second' is also recognised in some contexts
(this appears in fact, but under the backgroundColor property - and
that entry doesn't  mention the usage 'get the second item of
myContainer'...). So to know Transcript in full, you do have to read
a lot of stuff simply in a spirit of enquiry, which was my point.

Graham