Introduction

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Jan 15 19:48:01 EST 2003

Hi Steve!

> My name is Steve Riggins and I am a Macintosh Software Geek.  My
> career has spanned many years of multimedia development, including 6
> years at The Voyager Company working on titles such as the Voyager
> VideoStack, Beethoven's 9th and Poetry in Motion.

Perhaps we met at Voyager. I was just starting Human Code and working with
Bob Stein on trying to get Voyager to sell our Syd Mead and Marsbook titles
at the time. I remember the fine work all of you were doing with HC. Road
Pizza...long time since I've heard that term. I still think back to the
promise of digital video from that very first postage stamp QTMov. Human
Code ended up moving completely to PC's, and I quit working with SC....then
along came Revolution! :-)

As Ken says, we sure can use some C programmers to help out with externals
(though I wish you were programming on PC's)!

I might suggest doing the following to get up to speed...

1) Buy and read the manuals. RR/MC has something like 10 times the number of
commands as HyperTalk. You don't need to know them all...just know they
exist. If you can't get a RunRev manual, then buy the MetaCard manual..it's
the same language. Also, Geoff Canyon had posted a stack which would print
out the RR transcript documentation in RTF. You can find a copy of it at:
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/Links.htm

2) Build some small utility stacks. Start creating a set of startup scripts.
Check out the URL command and especially learn about custom properties.

3) Spend a few hours perusing this list and the metacard list. You can go
back years and there's valuable data

4) Check out some of the downloadable stacks at the RunRev website. While
you're there, you can also check out some links to other RunRev websites.

5) Be patient...don't afraid to post to this list for help. Many time
questions are answered within minutes.

If you can afford to, I would suggest purchasing the Professional license.
You get the alphas, betas, and best of all...direct customer support!

best,

Chipp Walters
Altuit, inc.