encryption and free up memory on closing

DVGlasgow at aol.com DVGlasgow at aol.com
Tue Jan 14 06:35:01 EST 2003

2 questions, list folks.

1  I plan to store assessment records in a data stack.  Customers will pay
for the number of assessments they  want to do.  So, in a hidden object, I
will simply store the number they have paid for.  If they want more, I will
send them a stack that will up the number.  The data stack will also be
holding confidential information i don't want to be easily readable.  I was
thinking I could set the password of the data stack, so encryptng it and
preventing casual browsing and poking around using a text editor.  Howevere,
i don't want my users to have to use a password. Can i just set and unset the
password in a script as my standalone accesses and closes the data stack?  Or
do I need to set a password and subsequently use the passkey?  How do I do
this in a script?  The docs seem to assume that if you want to encrypt a
stack, you also want the user to enter a password, so there are no scripted
examples given.

2  I have set the data stack to free memory on closing.  Am i right to assume
that this doesn't do anything in the development environment?  After closing
I can still see the stack in the App overview and access it via same.  It
only goes if I 'purge' using app overview or menu.

Best wishes,

David Glasgow
Home/ forensic assessments --> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/dvglasgow/">
DVGlasgow </A>