10 Questions about 2.0

Igor de Oliveira Couto info at pixelmedia.com.au
Sun Jan 12 17:45:00 EST 2003

Hi all,

Could the alpha/beta testers let us know whether the following will be
possible in Rev 2.0?

Firstly, about the new 'table' or 'spreadsheet' control:

1) In the new 'spreadsheet' control, will we be able to change the
colour of the background of individual cells?

2) Will we be able to control the appearance of gridlines (individually
or as a whole) - ie, thickness, colour, and whether they're visible?

3) Are we able to hide/show specific columns/rows?

4) Is each cell considered to be an object with its own messages and
events? - ie, is, let's say, the 'closeField' message sent to a cell,
or just to the entire table?

Now, about the other changes and innovations:

5) Have the Geometry Manager bugs been fixed?
Please, if any of you have time, perform this simple test with 2.0: Put
a text field inside a stack's card. Using the Geometry Manager, set the
text field to automatically resize as far as the border of the stack
(ie, distance of 0 pixels to the edges). Now, add ANOTHER card to the
stack - this new card will be empty, as our text field should be part
of the first card only. While on the second card, RESIZE THE STACK -
make it larger. Question: if you now go back to the first card, has our
text field automatically resized? - with version 1.1.1, the answer to
this seems to be 'no'...

6) Are all MacOS X menus supported? - can we add items to the
'Application' menu? Has the procedure for creating/handling menus
changed at all? Are menus still 'grouped buttons'? Has the Menu Manager
been improved?

7) Can the alignment and position of tabbed buttons now be changed? -
ie, can I have 'upside-down' tabs on the BOTTOM of my window, with the
tabs CENTRED?

MacOS X interface questions:

8) Are 'drawers' supported? - the side panels that 'slide out' from
under a main window, such as the 'Mailboxes' drawer in Mail.app. If so,
how are these handled by Windows and Linux systems?

9) I believe 'sheets' are supported - the dialog boxes that 'slide
down' from the top of a document window, such as the 'Save' dialog. Can
we design our own sheet dialogs - ie, make a stack that displays as a
sheet on another stack? Are 'sheets' a new STYLE for stacks? If so, how
are they handled by Windows/Linux systems?

10) Apart from XML, are there any other new supported formats for
EXPORTING and IMPORTING information? - specifically, are there any
enhancements to GRAPHICS EXPORT? Can we now export our Rev-made
graphics as anything else other than plain bitmapped screen dumps?

Any info would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
--
Igor de Oliveira Couto
igor at pixelmedia.com.au