reference another stack

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Sun Jan 12 14:00:01 EST 2003

>you'd need to handle all the usual problems of a database system
>(what to do about collisions where two people are trying to save at the
>same time; how to deal with the situation where someone's made changes to
>their copy since the previous save-and-reload).

Thanks for the various comments and suggestions. This is a small module
of a larger application and it won't be used all that often. Since the
chances of multiple users trying to write to the module simultaneously
are small (but possible), I've implemented a simple locking mechanism
that tells the second (or third, etc.) user that the program is in use
and that they won't be able to make any changes.

This is sufficient for my app, but obviously wouldn't be idea for a large
database app with lots of simultaneous users.

Regards,

Howard Bornstein