groups and background

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jan 9 15:57:01 EST 2003

On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 02:06 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

>> so there IS a RunRev specific reason to use the the "background"
>> concept.
>>
> I think the double "the" typo is significant.  I think we run into
> trouble in thinking of "the" background concept.  There seems to be
> two, even though both seem to have a basis in history.  There is
> background in the sense of backgroundBehaviour and background in the
> sense of thinking of groups belonging to the stack.  The
> backgroundbehaviour path modification, automatic placement and
> backgroundNames() are related to the first concept.  The rest of the
> uses of the word "background" seem to be related to the second, though
> there may be a few for the first concept that I missed.

For example I just learned that openBackground is sent only for groups
with backgroundBehavior set to true, so it belongs with the first
concept of background.

I wonder if there are more.

Dar Scott

     Hast thou not poured me out and curdled me like cheese?
                                     -- Job

     Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.
                                     -- G. K. Chesterton

     We have seen thee, queen of cheese,
     Lying quietly at your ease,
     Gently fanned by evening breeze
     Thy fair form no flies dare seize.
                                    -- James McIntyre

     Society... We meet at meals three times a day,
     and give each other a new taste of that old musty cheese that we
are.
                                    -- Henry David Thoreau

     Many's the long night that I've dreamed of cheese--toasted, mostly.
                                    -- Robert Louis Stevenson

     Politics, religion and cheese are all off topic.
                                    -- Heather Williams