Opening Windows-made stack on a Mac

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Thu Jan 9 05:29:01 EST 2003

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 02:16  AM, tkuypers at pandora.be wrote:

>> Rev can only do what's physically possible:  because of the Mac's
>> unique
>> dual-fork file system (data and resources) no other platform can
>> create a
>> Mac executable.
>>
> But Mac OSX doesn't use this dual-fork file system anymore...

Maybe I am missing your point, but... yes it does; the default install
of OS X uses HFS+ which is the same filesystem used by older Mac OS
versions. HFS+ is fast and supports resource forks. Installing OS X on
UFS (case sensitive, slow, no resource forks) is highly discouraged
unless you have a VERY good reason to use it. e.g. you have a Unix
program that cannot deal with case preserving filesystem like HFS+.

The situation is a bit confusing for developers on OS X though. App
developers on OS X can use CFM or MachO binary formats, file extensions
and app bundles or and resource fork data/creator codes. Mix and match.
Use all, or use none. And hope the Finder and the OS can figure it out
:-)

Personally I think an application bundle w/ the XML property lists and
resources contained within the bundle is pretty cool. I never liked
ResEdit.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com