groups and background

erik hansen erikhans08 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 15:36:01 EST 2003

 "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

>> if the number of cds in this bg > 1then answer "I'm shared."
> without evoking the "background" concept?
> the number of cds to which group "foo" is attached.

Actually, my example does invoke the "background" concept by referring
to "this bg". You can refer to any background; for example, "the number
of cards in bg foo". The critical distinction is that if you want the
number of cards that a group is placed on, you need to refer to the
group as a background the way HyperCard does. Referring to a "group"
assumes the referent is the card and you get back only the groups placed
on the current card. Referring to "background" assumes the referent is
the stack the way HyperCard does it. Though the groups themselves are
the same objects either way, the point of reference changes depending on
the terminology in the script.

ah ha!
so there IS a RunRev specific reason to use the the "background" concept.

erik at erikhansen.org    http://www.erikhansen.org