The joy of animated GIF

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Jan 5 10:59:01 EST 2003

>so the "image" (in a general sense) attached to an icon is stored in
>a file on disk, an external image. so the icon you see on a button
>is really an "image" meaning a file on disk? as are the actual
>images in the stricty RR sense?

Here's my understanding, erik:

An image used as an icon can be disk or stack resident depending on
whether it is added to the stack via the "Import As Control" or "New
Referenced Control."

That is the reason I said in the original post,

"OTOH, if your design alternative is to load all the images in a stack
(as opposed to referencing external image files), putting them in an
animated gif incurs no RAM hit, just the time to decompress the
frames when the image is opened.

--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company