Questions about 2.0

Igor de Oliveira Couto info at pixelmedia.com.au
Sat Jan 4 07:06:01 EST 2003

Dear Chipp,

Thank you for your reply!

>> a) Will we be able to access the data on a specified range
>> automatically (ie, "get from row 8, col 2 to row 40, col 3"?)
>
> Yes, but not using row and column terms. I think you'll find it works
> for
> what you want.
>

>> b) Will we be able to put any data other than strings inside cells? -
>> ie, images, graphics?
>
> I imagine so...though I haven't tried. I don't see why it wouldn't
> work.

Wonderful! - that all helps a LOT! This means a lot of the original
design specs I was counting on using will remain the same. *phew*

>> For instance, even though Revolutions has a
>> function for calculating the MEDIAN, it does not have a function for
>> calculating the QUARTILES - which are needed for drawing Box Plots.
>> Should I start implementing all required functions, or will there be
>> new functions in Rev 2.0?
>>

> 'QUARTILES'...Not that I'm aware of. I'm working with my partner Chris
> (a C
> programmer) on a basic primer for writing your own math functions in C
> and
> compiling to a DLL for access in MC/RR. Look for an announcement on
> this
> list next week.

Hmmm, looking forward to that!

As you might know, the problem with funtions such as 'median' or
'lower/upperQuartile' is that the data list has to be ORDERED first,
which can take quite a while.

Nevertheless, today I sat down and tried writing a 'trial' version of a
quartile function, and much to my surprise, it was able to find the
quartile of a list of 3000 items in just a few ticks! So, I might be
able to do it all surprisingly efficiently after all, even if these
functions are not 'built-into' Transcript.... Mind you - I would have
much rather used your externals, and spent the day designing interface
items!

>> 5) Will there be a new mechanism for automatically resizing interface
>> objects?

> I don't know about Geo Mgr fixes.. but I've gotten accustomed to
> managing my
> own geometry. It's not hard using resizestack msg and a Win Style stack
> resizer. I put the stack resizer on a window (not necessarily a palette
> window) and set the resizable to false. This way I can put 'on finish
> resizing' commands in the script of the stack resizer and let the
> resizeStack msg handle the rest. I find it can go faster, and handle
> more. I
> can also 'check' on startup to see if a computer has enough processing
> power
> to do realtime updating of all controls.

Thanks for the tip. It seems that most of the experienced Rev users do
their own geometry handling, and that it will keep on being that way...

>> 6) Will there be any changes in the graphing/drawing capabilities of
>> Revolution?
>
> I'm not aware of any -- though I don't know what else you would want
> (besides of course a full implementation of OpenGL! ;-)

*hehehehehe* True, true... In my wish list, however, I would also
include the ability to export grouped graphic objects as Mac PICT or
Win Metafile files... That way the user can export my beautiful graphs
to use in other applications. The raster versions we have to 'make do'
with (screen dumps) just do not cut it for professional graphing...

> As with all prelease announcements, I think it best to plan less than
> more.
> Also, if you absolutely, have to have the features and access to the
> individuals at RR, I suggest you seriously consider the purchase of
> the Pro
> license. You not only receive more support, but you'll have direct
> access to
> the Alpha versions already in distribution. I know it's expensive, but
> consider it an investment in your future!

Believe me, as soon as I possibly can, I WILL get the Pro version. As I
said, it is just a matter of finances.

Thank you for the information! It was an immense help!

Kindest Regards,

--
Igor de Oliveira Couto
igor at pixelmedia.com.au