Standalone Data folder

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 1 20:03:01 EST 2003

on 12/30/2002 8:51 AM, Robert Presender at rpresender at earthlink.net wrote:

> Is there a way to make the Data folder(and all its components)
> invisible and only have the app as a result of making a standalone
> for Mac and Windows?  Using the procedure of Tip 1 of RR site.
>
> Is there a reason that the Data folder(and components therein) be
> visible?

It may not be necessary, but it's polite to leave it visible if it's
installed on the user's hard drive.  For starters it can't be thrown away or
backed up if it's invisible.  And if you have a support issue which requires
the user to remove or replace a file, you'll have to ship them a specialized
tool to do it since it otherwise won't be possible.

I may have a stronger reaction to invisible file than others here, but
personally I never use 'em and distrust apps that do, wondering "What do
they have to hide?"  Now and then I boot ResEdit to hunt down and remove
invisible files from anyone other than Apple.

Macromedia, Adobe, Microsoft and other major players ship apps which require
a folder of data, components, etc., and all these major players leave their
folders visible.

Of course, if this folder is on a CD-ROM it's a non-issue, as the user can't
modify them anyway and it doesn't affect the user's system.

Forgive my coming into this conversation late:  What is the benefit of
hiding this folder?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation