Linux Requirements?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 26 18:33:02 EST 2003

Yennie at aol.com wrote:

> I'd like to maintain one machine here to test my Rev projects on Linux. I
> already have an extra G4 Powerbook which could handle a PPC Linux version.
>
> Question is- is it worth working with a PPC Linux, or am I better off getting
> a cheap x86 machine? For one, the latest pre-release has a Linux Intel
> distribution available, but not PPC. I can imagine this is right in line with
> demand, so would relying on PPC builds put me behind the curve?
>
> Finally, when it says "Linux Intel", excuse my ignorance, but does that rule
> out any particular flavors of Linux? What about a x86 machine that's not
> Intel?

I believe it applies for all machines that support the x86 instruction set.

I'm not sure than Scott is committed to maintaining the Linux PPC engine
going forward (did I read that on the MC list?).

But I can toss in my vote for getting a cheap PC:  I just upgraded to Red
Hat 8, and I really like it at lot.  Smooth-as-silk installer, nice UI,
great auto-update system.  And you'll be testing on the most popular Linux
version around.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation