pathway

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 13:40:01 EST 2003

--- yves COPPE <yvescoppe at skynet.be> wrote:
> Hi everybody
> and for Jan
>

> Can somone explain me what happens ?????
>
> when I use a long name for a folder
>
> the result gves something like
>
> /HD/user/userName/.../the truncated long name of the
> folder#465ED/Text
>
> the long name of the folder is truncated and ends
> with "#465ED"
>

> The long name of a folder is
>
> the name of someone-dd-mm-yyyy   (name-birtday in
> European format)
>

> Please help me.....
>
> --
> Greetings.
>
> Yves COPPE

Hi Yves,

Since nobody else jumped on this while I was in
hiatus, I'll pick up the thread here.

Maybe you recall that when Microsoft released
Windows95, it broke the 8.3-filename limit. New
applications would see the full name (254 char max).
But older applications will show files as in the 8.3
limit, and you get such funny things as "DATA~001.TXT"
when you're looking for a file named "Data before
changes.txt"

Something similar is happening here: the classic MacOS
imposed a 32 character limit on files and folders. And
that's why you'll see the funny "#465ED" at the end of
a long folder.
Have you checked if you get the same behaviour in the
PreBeta ? In that case, it could very well be a
limitation of the CarbonLib-API and it was fixed by
the transition to Mach-O executables for MetaCard 2.5
/ RunRev 2.0
If not, you'll have to figure out a way to convert
from the real name to the short name. But I have no
ideas for that at the moment. Someone else?

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====