Rough day on the Revolution front

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Sun Feb 23 16:56:01 EST 2003

**********
> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:15:11 -0800
> Subject: Re: Rough day on the Revolution front
> From: Geoff Canyon <gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com>
>
> This definitely sounds like a memory issue. How much physical memory
> and virtual memory does your computer have? How much is assigned as a
> preferred and minimum to Rev? Which OS version are you running?
----------
I think so too, but I don't know what else I can do. My G4 Mac is locked up
in storage until I can find another office space (it's too large for my
current space available).

It's a Mac PowerBook 1400c, 133mHz, 48mb RAM, 1.2g HD, under OS 8.6. Up
until a couple years ago, it was still a fairly powerful machine, but it
tends to be a little wimpy with newer apps these days.

However, most days it seems to run Rev OK as long as I stay out of the docs.
Somedays, it just gets crazy, though, like the day I had. I don't have a
clue what I did different to cause extra problems.

I have a 128mb CF card in the PCMCIA slot as a formatted volume assigned to
Virtual Memory, which gives it 116mb useable VM. I've heard the transfer
rates of those things are pokey.

The natural RAM can be expanded to 64mb, but that is max, the RAM modules
are spec, and are expensive and hard to find. There is no known way to
expand beyond the 64mb limit (according to techs all over the internet, no
one has done it).

Also, the HD driver can only handle up to ATA 64, I think, so I'm not sure
how fast an external drive I can hook up. I have a 10g TravelStar ready to
go in to replace the 1.2g HD it has now, as soon as I can set aside a day to
backup everything on it. That will hopefully allow more VM at a little
faster rate.

Ken N.