Double-clicking a document in Windows

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 23 11:15:01 EST 2003

I've read Ken Ray's excellent article on 'Setting Document
Associations in Windows', and I think I understand it as far as it
goes. Trouble is, the depth of my ignorance is so profound, I don't
know where to look for more information - I am totally ignorant of
command-lines (well, at least since the early 70s), shells,
registries, you name it... anyway, rant over, my current question is
this:

if my user double-clicks on a document (a stack or maybe a text file)
which is associated with my Revo-developed app, I can use Ken's
technique to get the app to launch and hand my app script the path of
the doc to open; however, what if the app is already open? Can I get
an environment variable to tell me this, or must I keep a system of
flags within my app to distinguish between the first time the user
double-clicks (when I will have to go through a long initialisation
sequence for the app) and all the subsequent times (when I will just
have to act as if my user had chosen File/Open from a menu)? I recall
I have had to do this 'manually' on Macs (using Apple Events with
SuperCard). In more general terms, where can I find out more about
environment variables and also about creating and attaching icons
(icon families?) to the application and its associated documents?
Maybe I have just missed some massive part of the Revo documentation,
but I don't think so.

While I'm at it, what is the Windows equivalent of the Apple Event
"aevtquit", where the OS tries to force the app to quit, and how do I
handle it?

Deeply confused

Graham