safe shell command

Alex Rice alrice at arcplanning.com
Thu Feb 20 23:41:01 EST 2003

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 09:20  PM, Rich Herz wrote:
> Win XP has both cmd.exe (the default) and command.com. The latter
> seems to have
> different options and/or behavior than command.com on Win 98, which
> only has
> command.com as I can see.  Below is script to run an application
> "myapp.exe"
> that is at a path gMyappPath that may contain spaces in path name.
>
> Setting MC/Rev hideConsoleWindows to true may help, and I do it, but
> can't rely on it.  Even with script below I get a minimized console
> button appearing in the Win task bar at bottom of screen while
> myapp.exe runs, at least on one of the Win platforms (can't remember
> now but could check)..

Rich, this looks pretty sophisticated. Couple of questions, if I may;

For what %  of Windows users would you estimate that hideConsoleWindows
true does actually work?

In my app, I am executing an .exe which is in the same directory as the
standalone rev app. In that case is it safe for all the "cd" and
command escaping that you are doing?

Thanks,

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com