Indirection question

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Wed Feb 19 15:12:01 EST 2003

I have a variable named "theM" in which I am storing any number of
comma-delimited items. If I use the message box for something like
"answer theM", I get a dialog with the list of the items in the var. So
far, so good.

I have other vars with similar names (theW, theH, etc.) that contain
other comma-delimited lists. I also have another variable
(currentLetter) whose content changes (in this case: from "M" to "W" to
"H" and back again in no consistent order). I have to check the content
of currentLetter before knowing which of these lists I must manipulate.
What I'd like to do is something like:

on mouseUp
	if currentLetter = "W" then put "theW" into theList
	(etc)
	answer theList
end mouseUp

Now, if I do this, the answer dialog shows "theW" instead of the
contents of the var named theW. Obviously, I'm not referring to the
variable in the appropriate manner.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barry