Using referenced images for icons

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Feb 18 02:09:01 EST 2003

How can I use referenced images for both normal and hilited button icons.

Or maybe that's not the right approach.

Using the large DOWN full screen image grouped so I can "window through" the
UP image on mouseDown works but there are some problems:

1) If I drag out of the button and release, the "window" stays open and the
DOWN image (hScroll/vScroll) persists because the mouseUp handler is in the
button. This doesn't follow standard HIGs for button actions. I need it to
behave a bit more like a hilite, i.e., unhilite when released, except with
no button action, but I haven't succeeded. Unlike a real keyboard, however,
the typing action takes place on release like normal screen buttons
(otherwise it is severely prone to user tremors).

2) Some buttons (caps lock, option, command) need the image to stick until
clicked off, but it automatically reverts when I press (moueDown) another
button, because another portion of the DOWN image gets called and placed via
scroll commands, i.e. it's really all one image and we apparently can't
break it up in pieces (what I really want to do) by the current methods.

I'm beginning to think I'll have similar problems as HC, i.e., I'll have to
152 separate icons. That won't be much fun at all.

How about this: Can I create a handler that does snapshots of portions of
the big image via button rects, then change them into .jpg files? If I have
to make separate images for icons, at least that would automate the process.

TIA,
Ken N.