How do I use customProperties

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 17:18:01 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:45:16 +0000 I wrote:

>[...]

>The latest problem is that I want to do an existence
test for a particular custom property.

I finally answered my own question - one uses a global property, the
customKeys, which gives a list of the custom properties of an object.
Who would have guessed that properties are keys, eh? OK, I could have
found it in the 'See Also' of the Transcript dictionary entry for
'customProperties' but the name 'keys' put me off researching it. And
anyway the info is very fragmented in the docs.

I am beginning to think that we (well, I) need a lot more short,
concentrated essays explaining pretty well everything on specific
topics - for example "all about custom properties" or "all about
arrays" or "all about printing" etc. to include info on what not to
do and gotchas. I realise that a lot of the info is there somewhere,
but it's hard to get the right mixture of 'what' and 'how' to
actually get things done. As soon as I feel I know enough about one
of these areas I'll try to draft one of these notes - what do other
people think?

Graham