Configuration Management of built apps

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Tue Feb 11 00:35:01 EST 2003

> Sarah's suggestion of just keeping track of the configs in the
> Distribution Builder covers the major chunk of the code, and I hadn't
> thought of using the config settings as a sort of cm tool, but that
> makes sense.     But (and it may be that I just am not thinking right
> about how the Dist Bldr works) several of my stacks don't need to be
> "built" (template stacks and stacks which retain preference settings,
> for instance, but contain very little 'code').   So, slightly along the
> lines of the arcane sccs, I need a clean way to ensure that I've
> checked the latest versions of the templates into the "build" that I'm
> creating.

You can add as many stacks as you like to the build. so the Dist Builder may
be all you need for this. Just use a working directory that you have the
latest revisions in and copy the folder whenever you backup. That way once
you include the latest revision of a stack file in the build it will always
be the latest.

> I wasn't really looking for the full monte (pun intended)

Oh ho HO.. I don't think I've heard that one before ;-P

of something
> like Visual Age, but if that existed, would clearly warrant a try.   I
> guess, then, Monte, my high-level objective statements might look
> (quickly) like this:
>
> 1st Objective:  tracking file/stack/substack revision
> date/time/changedby/changenotes easily. (oh, and size)
>
> 2nd Objective:  clean, easy-to-navigate object encyclopedia which shows
> created on/last modified/exists in or usedby/changenotes/changedby (and
> size)

Seeing as you can write whatever you want in the Object Library description
field I would think it would suit your needs. What else do you need?

> 3rd Objective:  build tracker, showing builds of projects by target
> platform (really what I'd like right now).  I'm not spun-in enough to
> do either of the first two,  but may end up taking a crack at the 3rd
> before too much longer if nothing pops up.

I'm not really sure what you want here. What info do you want to track about
each build?

Monte