Dealing with the dictionary

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Feb 10 15:16:01 EST 2003

Hi list,

When I'm at home on my boat, I work on my PB 1400c. I can develop in Rev,
but it doesn't have (and can't get) enough memory to open the docs, so I
assigned a formatted CF card as Virtual Memory in order to keep it from
crashing. However, when I open the dictionary, it slows the whole system to
a crawl. Takes 5 minutes to just to quit Rev for example (no kidding)! Even
screen redraws happen so slow its like painting my hull.

Something about the docs, specifically the dictionary, is taking a really
HUGE chunk of RAM memory. How much does it use, and why?

What can I do?

Is there a way to separate out the docs and make them accessible as a
standalone with the cards accessible from an external HD or something. That
is, cards as HD data with no big RAM penalty?

I can't buy another PB anytime soon, so I'd like to find a solution to this
problem.

TIA,
Ken N.