Multi-user stacks on servers?

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Feb 10 00:42:01 EST 2003

I am interested  in see what we can do without using an external
multi-user dBase, sticking with Rev stack (s), as a data respository
(s) on a server, with multi-user access.

Can a stack on a local station do something like

Send new card to stack "Vendors"
     ## which resides on a server, kind of like a single table in a SQL
Dbase
put "Some vender Name" into fld "Vendor Name"

For this to happen, does the stack on the server have to be open? If
so, then I guess there is no second user access for a write at that
moment and if I am right, then this would not be doable? or is there a
doable option other than storing all "records' as small text files and
locking them on read and write.

The data is complex but limited, well within the limits, size-wise, of
Rev to handle very efficiently. A super macho dBase is not really
needed in terms of speed. Meanwhile Rev's tool box lends itself well to
dealing with the complexity  (especially if one only knows xTalk and is
loath to get into a new learning curve)  But multi-user access is an
issue. What are our options?

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery