use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #1110 - 15 msgs

Bradley Borch brad at activadesign.com
Thu Feb 6 21:35:01 EST 2003

Richard,

Thanks for the response.

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 08:17  PM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Bradley Borch wrote:
>> 1) Can rev serve as a replacement for Director?
> Yes and no. ... What are you building?
See below

>> 2) ... using Flash export to swf 5...  and got mixed results.
> What sort of mixed results did you get?
Buttons worked intermittently

>> 3) How does Rev compare to iShell?
> ... But with Rev's speed and flexibility, many of us build custom
> authoring
> environments for clients,
That's what my product is going to be, a tool that allows users to
import numerous documents - html, quicktime, stills - and create
hyperlinks among them. The card-based concept seems especially well
suited to this type of app.

I understand that these are different tools. However, it sure appears
that Rev has a much simpler way of accomplishing many of the same
things Dir can do. E.g. I came across the "replaceText" command last
night. It took me seven lines of code including a repeat loop in Lingo
to perform the same function, and fifteen minutes to get the variables
(char 0 is actually the first char) right. If I can do all my
animations in Flash and QT then I'll go with Rev. BTW, has anybody used
the imageSource in any cool ways? That's another thing Dir can't do.

Brad