testing the waters

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 6 18:01:01 EST 2003

Bradley Borch wrote:

> 1) Can rev serve as a replacement for Director?

Yes and no.  Every tool has its stregths and weaknesses.  If you already
know Director and have alreadt paid for the two full packages you'll need
for cross-platform work, and if the nature of your project depends heavily
on animation or other traditional multimedia uses for which a timeline is
ideal, then it's a very good choice.

On the other hand, if you're building things along the lines of a true
application, you'll probably be working way to hard trying that in Director.

What are you building?

> 2) (related to 1) My most recent Dir CD had a lot of Flash animation,
> and I never used the Dir timeline for animation at all, just "go the
> frame" stuff. Can I take the same approach in rev using Flash export to
> swf 5 (the latest that QT 6 supports) and still have some control
> within the flash animation? I did a test and got mixed results. Any
> user experiences using rev as a multimedia player with Flash embedded
> as QT would be most helpful.

What sort of mixed results did you get?

> 3) How does Rev compare to iShell? I tried iShell but it felt really
> constraining. I know they're different animals, any specific
> observations would be great.

I've been roasted for this before here, but the offer still stands:  If
someone will put up enough to pay my bills for two months I'll build an
iShell-like tool using Rev.

iShell is great precisely because it is constraining:  by providing a more
focused feature set it can allow faster work for some types of projects.

But with Rev's speed and flexibility, many of us build custom authoring
environments for clients, which may be difficult to do in iShell itself, but
could produce something that offers a very similar focused approach if
needed.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation