More about images

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Thu Feb 6 04:19:55 EST 2003

Hello Rev list,

Here's the scenario (I've posted some of this 8 or 9 months ago, but I think
I'm actually ready to work on it in Rev now):

In my HC stack I have 2 full screen images of a keyboard and a couple of
fields. One is a set of UP keystate images and the other is a set of DOWN
keystate images. The thing looks a bit like one of those early TRS-80
portables with the 20 line b&w LCD screens, remember?

Anyway, the HC version uses Uli Kusterer's xDraw. The UP keyboard is visible
all the time, the DOWN version is registered to it, but exists only in RAM.
All the 'keys' are transparent buttons. Pressing down on a button causes the
corresponding rect of the DOWN image in RAM to be shown, releasing causes it
to disappear. The effect looks quite real because the down keys are properly
shaded and the letters are one size smaller (slightly exaggerated, rather
like a cartoon), and has corresponding sounds to go with it (an option the
user can turn on or off).

Now, I know I can make a set of button/icons to work in place of the images,
but there are 76 of them and that's a lot of work, considering the time
already spent on making the single full screen images. I'd rather write a
simple routine that will do the same as it does in HC with Uli's xDraw: Draw
corresponding button rects of the DOWN state image.

If this is an OK idea then how would I do it in Rev, or must I make two
entire sets of icons by copying each button art by hand (152 of them all
told)?

TIA,
Ken N.