[OT] ODBC driver for SQL Server on MacOS X?

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Wed Feb 5 12:06:01 EST 2003

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 05:52  AM, Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> Slightly off-topic, but I only want this so I can use it with the revdb
> functions...
>
> Does anyone know how I can get hold of an ODBC driver to let my rev
> app on
> MacOS X access MS SQL Server databases on the network?

Here is what I learned about ODBC on OS X. Since it's not documented
ANYWHERE, that I can find, other than here:
http://www.openlinksw.com/support/macosx-faq.htm

1.1.1 doesn't support ODBC on OS X. But once Rev 2.0 rolls around, I
would get commercial ODBC drivers from OpenLink.

There are open-source drivers, but probably not compiled for OS X and
you could spend weeks banging your head and trying to compile it.

OS X ships with ODBC Administrator.app , which seems entirely useless.
It has no DSN configuration panels, and can't recognize any drivers, in
my experience.

If you download the SDK or a driver package from openlinksw it will
install
/Applications/Utilities/iODBC/iODBC Administrator.app

This app is the real thing, it has a detailed configuration panel for
each DSN. The ODBC Administrator.app that ships with OS X seems to
basically useless; one might as well write odbc.ini files by hand. BTW
iODBC Administrator writes User DSNs to
~/Library/Preferences/ODBC.preference

If you have Microsoft Query installed, it seems to use it's own version
of "iODBC Data Source Chooser". Not sure about that though.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com