QT Movies playing roughly/dragging

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 5 04:00:01 EST 2003

Folks, I appear to be guilty of confusing the list about two separate
problems I have. The result is that people have given me advice which
doesn't quite fit either case.

Problem One is that I find that small QT movies play roughly/jerkily
on all platforms.

Problem Two is that certain image objects can't keep up with the
mouse when moved around the screen by my user under control of a
'grab' command. I can't see the difference in the script or the image
characteristics of these misbehaving objects and others that allow
themselves to be grabbed without problems. This issue seems only to
affect Windows builds on slowish PCs.

The confusion arises because I mentioned in one mail that the reason
for using QT movies rather than some other type of animation is that
I want to allow my user to move the player objects around the screen
- but the player objects are never playing while they're being moved:
I only set them playing when they arrive at specific spots on the
screen. Thus comments to the effect "you shouldn't expect good
performance if you let your user move a player object while the movie
is actually playing" don't apply to my case.

Using the good advice of folks on this list I will now experiment
with the various parameters suggested for the two issues, and report
back under separate headings.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, and apologies for the confusion.

Graham