Storing images

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Feb 4 12:09:28 EST 2003

Recently, Jim Hurley wrote:

> Isn't there another issue regarding where images are stored? My
> knowledge  here is admittedly weak but I have had problems in the
> past in referencing images stored on disk. To find the image a path,
> either  absolute of relative (relative to the current default folder)
> needs to be given.

That's how we typically do it.  We've never had any problems.

Assuming you have a directory of images called "images" in the same folder
as your app:

# GET THE STACK PATH
put the effective fileName of this stack into tPath
set itemDel to "/"
put "images/" into last item of tPath

Now all images can be referenced using:
set the fileName of img myImage to (tPath & "coolImage.gif")

> If, in distributing  the application, the user
> should move the stack without bringing the images along there will be
> problems.

To be fair that's a whole different problem altogether.  If you expect users
to move your stack/app to different locations, you might consider using an
installer.  Otherwise, it's pretty standard to include a "resources" folder
or similar in the same folder as the stack/app.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director

Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design