Grid / Table control

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 06:17:01 EST 2003

--- Jez <jbradshaw at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I dont wish to join the debate about WHEN the final
> version 2.0 will ship,
> but just wish to ask : will it include a grid /
> table control ? This is the
> most useful control in data-intensive GUI
> applications I think. Tabbed list
> controls just wont suffice.
>
> NB. It's interesting to note that the much vaunted
> Microsoft .NET visual
> studio environment has a basic windows forms grid
> control but it's not very
> flexible (albeit it is extensible apparently, though
> God knows how), so come
> on Rev guys, do something well that Microsoft don't!

In RunRev 1.1.1 you can make a field and set its
vertical and horizontal grids to show. You can control
the distance between the vertical lines by setting the
'tabStops' property.
However, in version 1.1.1, the information isn't
clipped if it exceeds the width of the column, and
everything is just shifted to the right -- much like
in Word, where if you type too much, the data after
the tab is shifted to the next tab on its right.

RunRev 2.0 clips the text, so everything that doesn't
fit is automatically truncated for viewing purposes.
Moreover, you can turn a field into a 'Table' field,
where you can allow in-cell editing or not, and can
even apply some formatting settings.
There are no column or row headers though, and you
can't "split" the table or any of that stuff (you
could probably code that yourself if you wanted to)
but it's an enormous advancement already, and I'm sure
you'll see some nice library objects to expand its
abilities.

Hope this answered your question,

Jan Schenkel.

=====