Pre-Beta for 2.0 for Mac OS

Curry curry at kagi.com
Sun Feb 2 06:44:01 EST 2003

>  >However, with this 2.0 pre-beta my personal opinion is that there is
>>so much bugs and unfinished features that's is not possible for me
>>to do any meaningful testing. I'm not really a cutting edge user, so
>>hopefully others have ways of testing the IDE (like from the Message
>  >window)?
>  >
>I too am very disapointed with this pre-Beta :
>too much messages : not yet implemented or bugs.
>
>I think the people who said "wait until a good finished product" are right
>It's not necessary to release a version to satisfy some people who
>are waiting with impatience. I think it's better to wait until the
>team has worked further.

Well, I think it's a nice treat Rev gave us, not for going ahead with
work in it or testing every single thing -- "pre" beta after all --
but it lets everyone see a preview of basically how the new interface
is going to look and work. Nothing wrong with that IMO! I think it's
a nice gesture from Rev and very enjoyable to try it out if you
interpret it and use it in the sense that I believe it was offered.

The smooth window resizing is very neat, and I like that it's been
thoughtfully included to use in our apps too. The properties palette
is super clean, a huge improvement.

(You can't beat the cleanness of the menu in the palette but still,
you have to admit it's faster to have a one-click method for
switching sections--I say maybe add a row of tiny icon buttons (the
size of the icons for adding and deleting categories in custom and
profile sections of the palette) for the different sections along the
top and let the user choose to show the menu, both, or just the icon
row. But keep the menu default, it sets a very clean tone for
everything.)

I also like to be able to set the margins of an object in the
palette, but could I suggest to also add an interface element to
change each margin separately? Maybe a small option menu to choose
All, Left, Top, Right, or Bottom, using the same entry field so it
doesn't take up much more room than now.

For Font and Size option menus in the palette, it would be nice to
begin the menu with a blank (space) item equivalent to "use owner's
size".

The interface for setting a stack shape is just too good! (Try it people!)

Everything looks very deserving of the 2.0 hype. I do think it would
nice to paste images from the clipbard when no image object is
selected and have a new image object created the size of the image
data rather than of the card. Putting together something with clipart
or that sort of thing, it could speed things up.

Great Saturday night bonus.

Curry