Startup procedures -- was Splash snafu

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Wed Dec 24 19:19:34 EST 2003

Hello richard,

> Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:18:58 -0800
> From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
> Subject: Re: Splash snafu

> Today my mainStacks are a dialog notifying the user of a memory error.  I do
> initialization from a preOpenStack handler in its card script, with the last
> line being to hide the window.  When all goes well (99.99% of the time) the
> stack is never seen;
----------
Hmmm...At first, I admit the idea seemed a lot like something from the
fringes of cyperspace. I'm used to seating the engine in the splash window
which initializes, then always gets hidden.

But, having reread your short list of reasons a couple of times along with
my own thoughts, the more sense it made. IMO, it's really an elegant
solution, except for one thing I need to understand:

If the app encounters a memory problem and the stack quits at startup, and
hasn't shown itself due to (the last line of) the preopenStack handler, how
will they see the dialog to know there is a problem?

Or do you only put something there for "useful info" (in case the user hacks
the startup block) and actually let the system throw the error?

TIA,
Ken N.