evaluate the "it" variable in an external

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Dec 22 13:38:06 EST 2003

Alex-

Right. I've been through your posted clips code. It just wasn't clear
to me where in the process you wanted to get user input. I think Jan's
solution is a good working one, although I'm appalled at the syntax
you have to use to get there. (No reflection on you, Jan)

And I'm still a bit stumped about why

AR> SendMCMessage("ask info \"your input\"; put it into tmpVar", &retval);

doesn't work. For what it's worth,

AR> SendMCMessage("put 3.1416 into tmpVar", &retval);

doesn't work either. The contents of tmpVar remain unchanged, so I
don't think that has anything to do with the "it" variable.

On the other hand, I always regard "it" and "the result" as ephemeral
variables and try to move values out of them as soon as possible. I'm
never quite sure when the next statement I issue is going to change
one of them.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net