High-Order ASCII Alphabet & Other Keyboard Edits

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 21 16:50:04 EST 2003

On Sunday, December 21, 2003, at 11:48  AM, Rob Cozens wrote:

>> How about this: (untested code)
>
> I'm saving your handlers in case I need to go that route, Mark; but as
> I said to Jacque, I can't believe someone programming an application
> in Germany, the Scandinavian countries, or other nations where
> high-order characters are part of the alphabet have to go to that
> length.
> --
>
> Rob Cozens

Can you imagine trying to write a search function that includes needed
or proper escape-sequences? I might need to do this. My markup language
project stores data as markup so for me it works to use them. Changing
button text and all the other GUI elements might require a conversion
function that executes mainly on startup but also when ever needed. I
was hoping to port MTML over to other languages that include these
higher ascii characters. I have up to nine-character escape-sequences
numerically allowed for while selecting text from a text field. So in
this way I'm working with the text seen, (selected), and the equivalent
HTML/MTML-Text as well. I did this so I could be ready for
international versions and to display markup fragments in their
original form in pages. I do this on the fly because these are pages in
a book and they are in a constant state of change the more the user
uses some of the tools available. Maybe you remember when I mentioned
getting beyond burn-out a few months back? I wrote these numerical
based algorithms during that time. I have since come out of that
burnt-out state, thank goodness.

Speed has always been an issue while implementing a satisfying user
experience. Most of this conversion stuff looks instantaneous to the
user, thanks Rev. So I'm convinced that you can build a conversion
function that uses escape-sequences in combination with selected fonts
that will work so fast that it will work for you too. I won't know for
sure until I try other languages myself.

Best wishes,

Mark