Shell or Launch or HELP!!!!

Thomas J McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Sun Dec 21 10:19:49 EST 2003

Ken,
see below

On Dec 20, 2003, at 11:59 PM, Ken Ray wrote:
> How about something simple, like:
>
>   open process <pathToEXE> for neither
> I generally use this approach whenever I just need to launch an app and
> don't need to pass it any command-line parameters.
I saw this and thought the process was used mostly for text docs so I
skipped it in my test. I will play with it.

> Well, the "OPEN=ShellExe.exe ClickMe.bat" part of the AUTORUN.INF is
> intended on running the ShellExe.exe application with the parameter
> "ClickMe.bat" whenever the CD is inserted and auto-run takes place.
> But it
> the main intention is to launch installers in sequence from the insert
> of a
> CD, there are other ways to do it.
Yeah, I knew that about the auto-run and the CD they sent me has a
whole install procedure in it that I was hoping to make use of. They
actually have a powerpoint file and player with information and links
in it to web sites and to the downloads found on the CD. If I made use
of their procedure I could save myself a lot of time and if there were
problems with it it would fall on their shoulders i.e. I pass the buck
to them. (Lazy Safe me)
Instead I copied the powerpoint slides as .png's to my stack as cards
and on the last slide where the install links were I placed a
transparent button and I wanted to send a launch command directly to
the install files themselves instead of to the clients full install
procedure.

> What is your primary intent? To launch PCSB101.exe and PCPF109.exe? If
> so,
> will you be launching them one at a time, conditionally based on some
> criteria, or in a sequence?

Originally I wanted to launch their shell app with their batch file and
let the user of my CD deal with these demos using the clients way of
doing it. But now I already jumped past that and skipped the clients
main installer and just want to allow the user to hit a transparent
button on my card that would start up the actual demos themselves found
on my CD. I copied their CD contents to my CD in my media folder. The
client CD had the batch file and the shell file and then a separate
folder with the actual Demos in it.

I got this to work in Windows using the actual Demo files but not on
the Mac. On the Mac I want them to know the client demos still work but
you need Virtual PC. ( I tested the client demos in XP and 2000 and
they work fine) I was hoping that I could test the users computer for
the presence of Virtual PC and then auto launch Virtual PC and start
the install // and if they did not own Virtual PC to answer "You need
to own Virtual PC.... etc." and do nothing.

> If you can fill in some gaps, I'm sure we can help...

SO:
on windows - install one at a time either of two Demos from transparent
button over .png graphic.
on OSX - if VirtualPC is present then launch VirtualPC and install one
at a time either of two Demos from same button
on OSX - if VirtualPC is NOT present then answer "You need to own
Virtual PC... etc." and do nothing

Thanks Ken,
TOM