High-Order ASCII Alphabet & Other Keyboard Edits

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 20 15:04:08 EST 2003

On Saturday, December 20, 2003, at 10:11  AM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> There is an alphabet for every language.  There must be a way to
> filter keyboard input to reject keys that are not part of the
> alphabet, or a subset thereof.
>
> This is not an issue of key translation between two computers; rather
> the focus is on filtering keyboard input on the user's computer to
> reject keystrokes that are defined as illegal for the current input
> field.
> --
>
> Rob Cozens

Rob,

I use a trick to find characters that are higher than ascii 127. I use
a repeat loop to place all 255 numToChars(i) separated by a space into
an off screen field. I then put the HTMLText of that field into a
variable. I now have escape-sequences for these chars that I can use in
an array created with the split function.

 From this :
Š š ¦ ­ ² ³ ¹
  ¼ ½
  ¾ Ð × Ý Þ ð ý þ

    ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / 0
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 : ; < = > ? @ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T
U V W X Y Z [ \ ] ^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x
y z { | } ~  Ä Å Ç É Ñ Ö Ü á à â ä ã å ç é è ê ë í ì î ï ñ ó ò ô ö õ ú
ù û ü † ° ¢ £ § • ¶ ß ® © ™ ´ ¨  Æ Ø  ±   ¥ µ      ª º  æ ø ¿
¡ ¬  ƒ   « »
   À Ã Õ Œ œ – — “ ” ‘ ’ ÷
 ÿ Ÿ
 ¤ ‹ ›
  ‡ · ‚ „ ‰
Â Ê Á Ë È Í Î Ï Ì Ó Ô € Ò Ú Û Ù  ˆ ˜ ¯  Ž  ¸   ž

I get this :
 &frac34; Ð × Ý Þ
ð ý þ
    ! " # $ % & ' ( ) * + , - . / 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 : ; < = > ? @ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y
Z [ \ ] ^ _ ` a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z { | }
~  Ä Å Ç É Ñ Ö Ü
á à â ä ã å ç é
è ê ë í ì î ï ñ
ó ò ô ö õ ú ù û
ü † ° ¢ £ § • ¶ ß ®
© ™ ´ ¨  Æ Ø  ±
 ¥ µ      ª º
æ ø ¿ ¡ ¬  ƒ
« » …   À Ã Õ Œ œ
– — “ ” ‘ ’ ÷  ÿ Ÿ
‰ Â Ê Á Ë È Í Î Ï
Ì Ó Ô € Ò Ú Û Ù
ž </p>

With that I can create a char map for conversion between OS
differences. Perhaps a char mapping process can help you set up a key
control handler. This works for me because I'm using HTMLText to store
data.

Mark