Problems with XP & custom properties, and printing

Ray Bennett smilingeyes at mac.com
Fri Dec 19 11:51:19 EST 2003

Hi David,
We do most of our product testing on XP.  I can offer that we do a lot
of pretty funky things, including dynamically loading pulldowns/pop-ups
and it works fine for us on XP/98/95/ME.

These thoughts may be of no help, but I'll pass them on for your
consideration:

A difference I note is that we always say:
     set the text of button "fred" to myText
  rather than
     put myText into button "fred"

I don't know if this matters, since your stuff works on some platforms
- but it may be worth a shot.  We went to this approach because we had
some problems with consistency in the early days.  This seems to have
fixed them.

The "?" in an object name scares me, especially since Rev is so adept
with regular expressions.  Again, it seems to handle it for you fine,
but just looks like trouble.

For most of our printing, we check the platform and if its "Win32", we
set the formatforprinting property to true before the print call, then
back to false afterward.   Note that for some of your stacks this
actually may cause problems (read "unexpected results"), but generally
gets the text to behave itself.

Finally, it may have something to do with the global.  You could set a
custom property on your app stack rather than use a global and it may
work more effectively.

Hope this is of some value.  If you want me to beat on it for you on an
XP box (XP Home), drop me a line off list and I'll be glad to give it a
look.

Ray