COM objects?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Dec 16 17:24:39 EST 2003

On Dec 16, 2003, at 3:15 PM, Steve Ralston wrote:

> We might be working on a Rev app that sits on a Unix server and talks
> to a couple other programs, if it is possible. I'm not at all
> well-versed in COM, so if I say something blatantly stupid regarding
> COM, please forgive and bear with me.

There could be Unix implementations of COM but it is generally a MS
Windows-only tech.

AFIAK Rev can't do COM, Windows or not, without some fancy C external
writing.

For interprocess communication on Unix one might expect TCP/IP or
shared memory or pipes and processes. Or CORBA or other "ORB"s (object
request brokers).

Revolution has TCP/IP and open process support. But not shared memory
or the others.

Hope this helps,

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>