Apple script problems

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Tue Dec 16 07:57:44 EST 2003

>Message: 11
>Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:14:18 +1000
>From: Sarah Reichelt <sarahr at genesearch.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Apple script problems
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>>  I am still surprised that AppleScript doesn't do the normal thing and
>>  just return a comma/return (or tab/return) delimited text file instead
>>  of the  curly brackets. Thank God there are not curly brackets in the
>>  database.
>>
>Jim,
>
>I don't have FileMaker so I can't test this, but what do you get if you
>say:
>	get every record as string
>in the AppleScript?
>
>AppleScript has decided to give you a list and that may end up easiest
>to process, but try coercing it to a string and see what happens.
>
>Cheers,
>Sarah
>sarahr at genesearch.com.au
>http://www.troz.net/Rev/

Sarah,

You are a champ, proving the superiority of string theory! It returns
a tab/return delimited string.

Unfortunately, for a big file, I get an "execution error." But I got
that without the "as string." I don't think this is a Run Rev
capacity problem. I am able to import the file into a varaibe (or a
field). I  suspect that AppleScript has limits on string lengths.

Back to the tried-and-true--importing a text file.