[OT] Core dump on OS X?

James Spencer jspencer78 at charter.net
Sat Dec 6 11:07:38 EST 2003

On Dec 5, 2003, at 11:57 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I could use a core dump on OS X, but I can't figure out how to
> generate one.
> Here's what I've been doing:
>
> 1. In the terminal:  limit coredumpsize unlimited
>    (compensates for OS X's default value of 0)
>
> 2. Launch my app
>
> 3. In terminal:  kill -9 4444
>    (or whatever the process ID is)
>
> The app terminates as expected but there's nothing in /cores.  What
> else do
> I need to do to generate a core dump?

I'm not going to be able to answer your question directly but I don't
think the KILL signal that you are passing as "-9" generates a core
dump.  SEGV and QUIT do but in quickly checking this morning, I can't
seem to be able to send those signals in a kill command.

Spence

James P. Spencer
Rochester, MN

jspencer78 at charter.net

"Badges??  We don't need no stinkin badges!"