cross-platform compress & decompress

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Dec 1 18:33:56 EST 2003

On Dec 1, 2003, at 4:27 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I don't think it's a bug as much as a very useful feature with
> unintended
> consequences for binary data:  in old versions of the engine, folks
> complained that data stored in user properties did not have the
> automatic
> cross-platform conversion as text in fields enjoy.  So several
> versions ago
> this was changed to allow the same for user props.

> The downside to the change is that for the minority of user props
> containing
> binary data this conversion will cause trouble, often making the data
> unusable (as is the case if the data is compressed).

When did that happen? I thought that custom properties are a place
where binary data was really safe in Rev.

In either case I misunderstood Mark's question. I thought he meant
compressing data X on two different platforms would yield 2 different
chunks of binary data.

> Maybe we need a flag to note whether a property is text or binary?
> Should
> it be a stack property?

Just as a transcript notation you mean? Sounds useful

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>