How do I interrupt and cleanup gracefully?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 15:04:04 EST 2003

--- "T. R. Ponn" <alptex2 at orwell.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> There are a few places in my app where it would be
> nice if the user
> could use a "command-period" interrupt to gracefully
> stop my scripts.
>  So, in playing around, I tried this as a starting
> point in a new button:
>
> on mouseUp
>   repeat
>     if the interrupt then cleanThisUp else add 1 to
> msg
>   end repeat
> end mouseUp
>
> on cleanThisUp
>   put "I'm interrupted" into msg
> end cleanThisUp
>
> It does, indeed, stop the script, but always with an
> error...and I never
> see the final message in the msg box.  This is
> happening in Rev 2.0.3
> IDE on my Mac (OS9.2.2), but must also work in the
> standalones when
> completed.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can lend!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Tim Ponn

Hi Tim,

The way I read the docs, you should set the local
property allowInterrupts to false before going into
the repeat loop. So the script should look something
like :
--
on mouseUp
  set the allowInterrupts to false

on cleanThisUp
  put "I'm interrupted" into msg
end cleanThisUp
--

A quick test revealed this to work on my Windows
machine. So I hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====